Monday, August 17, 2015

No Strangers Allowed

Our life story.  Have you thought about your life story?  Everyone has a life story, some are shorter than others but still filled with wonderful memories. 

Photos are a fabulous place to review and enjoy those life moments again.  But what happens when your photo collection contains photos of people that only your late grandmother knew their names and family connections?  I’ve seen many nameless faces in photo frames and albums in my local antique store. 

When I look at these lovely unwanted and unloved photos, I’m troubled over the loss of their life story. I wonder where do they belong, will their life story be missed, why did they have this photo taken, did they spend hours getting ready for the photo, was the photo taken in their home or did they travel to another town hours away or did they pinch their pennies and save their money so that they could afford this photo? Did they ever image that their treasured photo would be forgotten and discarded in a pile of vintage memorabilia and that they would become the stranger in the box?

The Strangers in the Box

Come, look with me inside this drawer
In this box I've often seen
At the pictures, black and white
Faces proud, still and serene.

I wish I knew the people
These strangers in the box
Their names and all their memories
Are lost among the socks.

I wonder what their lives were like,
How did they spend their days?
What about their special times?
I'll never know their ways.

If only someone would have taken time,
To tell who, what, and when,
Those faces of my heritage
Would come to life again.

Could this become the fate
Of the pictures we take today?
The faces and the memories
Someday to be tossed away.

Make time to save your pictures
Seize the opportunity when it knocks
Or someday you and yours could be
The strangers in the box
.
 Author: Pam Harazim

Come and join us on Sept 26th for tips and information on how to avoid the Strange in the Box syndrome from afflicting your family. 

www.saveyourphotosday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment